Walker Memorial Library
800 Main St. Westbrook, ME 04092
(207)854-0630, Fax (207)854-0629
February 22, 2012
Dear Library Members and Visitors,
Last year the Library Board, staff and members of the community started meeting to create a vision and an overarching plan for public library services in Westbrook. We embarked on this venture for a number of reasons: The City of Westbrook had begun its comprehensive planning process as mandated by state law and we needed to address the library’s role in the City’s plan. In the last three years we have seen a public library close in Westbrook. And, like the School Department who recently completed their strategic planning process, we needed to be confident that the service priorities matched our goals.
And so we hired a consultant and began to meet…with focus groups, staff meetings and planning sessions. The result was a strategic plan with five goals and numerous objectives that show where we want to focus our talents and the progress we wish to achieve. While we take pride in our accomplishments we strive to achieve more. Through concentrated efforts we will be able to reach our goals.
Our five key strategic goals are:
1. Embracing Advanced Technology
2. Providing a forum for social and cultural discourse
3. Empowering people in education, career, family and life
4. Preserving, sharing and celebrating Westbrook
5. Breaking down barriers
We will foster an environment in which we:
1. Nurture the potential of the members of our community
2. Deepen and broaden our understanding of the world; and
3. Demonstrate accountability and transparency in all that we do.